|Rockdale firefighters to pass out smoke detectors in Pinedale Thursday|
|Written by Valerie J. Morgan|
CONYERS—Rockdale County firefighters will be canvassing the Pinedale community where the fatal fire claimed the lives of four children last week.
On Thursday, at 5 p.m., firefighters will pass out free smoke detectors, batteries and fire education brochures in the community.
They will begin the smoke detector awareness blitz at 5 p.m. and visit as many homes as possible, Rockdale officials said.
“We wanted to go in the evenings to reach people after work,” said Tonya Parker, director of community affairs. "They'll be out until about 8 p.m., before it gets too dark."
Although the educational campaign follows a tragedy, Rockdale firefighters conduct educational awareness programs throughout the year in the county’s schools and communities, said Parker. “This is something the fire department does on a regular basis,” Parker said.
There were no working smoke detectors in Reeba Glass’ home, where the fatal blaze occurred, authorities said. Glass 6-year-old, who survived, started the fire, authorities determined last week. Glass, 28, remains in Grady Hospital, where she is undergoing treatment for severe burns she sustained from trying to save herself and her children.
The 6-year-old is reportedly with relatives. The child has been referred to the state Department of Family and Children’s Services for counseling and treatment.
A memorial service is scheduled this Saturday for the four children who perished. The memorial service will be held at 11 a.m. at Springfield Baptist Church, 1877 Iris Drive, Conyers.