|Deadline ticks: 200+ apply for DeKalb School Board|
|Wednesday, 06 March 2013 16:19 | Written by Valerie J. Morgan|
More than 200 people have applied to replace the six DeKalb County School Board members, Gov. Nathan Deal's officials said earlier this afternoon.
The deadline for the applications is 5 p.m. today.
The governor's nominating panel will begin reviewing the applications and make recommendations as soon as possible, a Deal spokesperson said.
No one knows if the recommendations will come this week or next week. The nominating panel must review all of the applications to examine backgrounds and experience. The panel will consider demographics as well and devise a strategy to vet candidates.
"We don't have an exact date that the names will be announced, but the governor is working to move quickly. He realizes the urgency of a decision being made," said spokesperson Brian Robinson.
Meanwhile, the board, which only has three members currently, remains in limbo. With no quorum, it cannot make any decisions until the new replacements come aboard.
The new board members will be paid $18,000 a year, the same as the suspended board members. It is unclear how long the suspended board members will continue to be paid.
U.S District Judge Richard Story ruled on Monday, March 4, to uphold Gov. Deal’s decision to place the six elected board members on probation. Deal used a 2011 law that allows the governor to suspend board members whose school district is on accreditation probation. DeKalb was placed on probation in December 2012.