Atlanta Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms announces recovery funds for small businesses impacted by protests

Keisha Lance Bottoms 22
Testingfg of Ads

ATLANTA– Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms today announced the creation of the CoA Recovery Fund, a program to support businesses and facilities adversely impacted following the peaceful demonstrations in the City of Atlanta that began on May 29, 2020. The fund offers grants to eligible small businesses to help them address physical damages and other debilitating losses, and to ensure they can continue to offer employment opportunities and support Atlanta’s communities, trade and commerce.

“The peaceful protests taking place here in Atlanta and around the world have sent a clear message on the need to address systemic racism in our nation at a deeper level,” said Mayor Bottoms. “Unfortunately, in the midst of the peaceful protests, we witnessed a small and destructive group cause damage to businesses in our city.  Thank you to Invest Atlanta for coordinating the City’s Recovery Fund to assist small businesses with their recovery and efforts to continue supporting our communities through jobs and the services.”

Small businesses with a current City of Atlanta business license that sustained damages may apply for a grant of up to $10,000 to cover the insurance deductible or cost of actual repairs to restore the property and business operations.

Those seeking a grant will be required to complete an online application form highlighting the impact to their property, facilities and/or business as a result of these particular events. Application intake will begin soon and be administered through Invest Atlanta. Information and applications will be  available on Invest Atlanta’s homepage at www.investatlanta.com.

On Common Ground News

15 comments

• Tomnchrist

June 9, 2020 at 9:26 pm

Damage from a Peaceful Demonstration?

• Deedee

June 9, 2020 at 11:25 pm

Form: Question 1: Was your business damaged by the peaceful protesters bringing forth their message of peace and love? If yes, go question 2. Question 2: Do you in any way support Pres Trump? If yes, then you will never in a million years get one penny from this fund, sucker!

• JOHN STUART

June 10, 2020 at 8:48 am

Bottoms left a few things unsaid. “The peaceful protests taking place here in Atlanta and around the world have sent a clear message on the need to address systemic racism (in Democrat run cities and) in our nation(s leftist institutions) at a deeper level,” said Mayor Bottoms. “Unfortunately, in the midst of the peaceful protests, we witnessed a small and destructive group (of leftist radicals embraced by Democrats) cause damage to (mostly black) businesses in our city (because this Democrat run city failed at it’s primary responsibility to keep it’s people safe).

• Orangepaws

June 10, 2020 at 9:46 am

Dear Mayor Bottoms:

Maybe your news source showed people in peaceful protest marching and holding signs. The news feed on my TV showed people looting and setting fires. Maybe you should get a different news source. It’s your city and you should have all the news about your city.

• Marilyn Johnson.ND

June 10, 2020 at 9:53 am

Mayor Bottoms has and is demonstrating outstanding leadership for our city. She is a fine example for others to follow.

• Chris Harmon

June 10, 2020 at 10:09 am

If the protests were peaceful then why are recovery funds needed?

• S Carpent

June 10, 2020 at 10:30 am

If the ‘demonstrations’ were so ‘peaceful’ why do these businesses need recovery money?

The fact is that rioters and looters destroyed these business, and many didn’t have insurance.

• Mariana

June 10, 2020 at 1:03 pm

That makes no sense whatsoever!

If the “demonstrations” were peaceful, no one needs a “recovery fund” since there’s no reason for businesses to be “adversley affected”. I’ve been in peaceful protests. We leave everything impecable. Not one single business has ever been “ adversley affected).

If they acted like terrorists as they did in all of the other forty something cities, if they looted, burned homes and buildings to the ground and destroyed businesses buildings, the “recovery fund” makes sense. She’s acting as if she was one of the organizers.

• Beatriz Guerrrero

June 10, 2020 at 6:24 pm

I glad help someone’s in 2008 I lost everything never be same

• Priscilla

June 10, 2020 at 7:07 pm

I think that is a blessing and Mayor Keisha Bottoms the City should be very grateful for you. I am also concerned about the people my age that is about to be evicted due to furlough/layoff due to COVID-19 and my company is Collection for Department of education Studentloans and with the hold on it will be around late September or October for our return and I have taken care of me and now 62 and Highblood,type diabetic,however I still able 2 take care of myself not able 2 get HUD takes years no tax credits for areas that is not slum landlord where I am in midtown and my landlord change managers every 3 months and fix nothing I was on FMLA when I was furlough due to 3 surgeries on my shoulder 2019.I have tried to get help none because I am deeply afraid 2 of some of the apartments low income I just want a place to live out my life, without being afraid to go to sleep always thinking my apartment might be broken in.I have received the list from 211 which has been helpful with the list, but every place either is not accepting applications or the area.

• Priscilla

June 10, 2020 at 7:08 pm

I really thank the Mayor for all she is doing for Atlanta Ga.

• Matt

June 12, 2020 at 10:12 pm

ATLANTA– Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms today announced the creation of the CoA Recovery Fund, a program to support businesses and facilities adversely impacted following the peaceful demonstrations in the City of Atlanta that began on May 29, 2020….

Businesses aren’t impacted by peaceful protests. You could say mostly peaceful protests, if that was the case. This article is what George Orwell calls Doublespeak.

• Shel Leader

June 14, 2020 at 1:59 am

If the demonstrations were peaceful, why would businesses need support to recover from looting?

• Leonard Jones

June 14, 2020 at 8:32 pm

Mrs.Bottoms, Thank You For Speaking up on Truth. I Agree That These Businesses need support, if they sustained damage. Thank You Again.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Testingfg of Ads

About us

On Common Ground News is published daily by On Common Ground, Inc (OCGNEWS.COM). The newspaper serves DeKalb, Gwinnett, Rockdale and Metro Atlanta.

The opinions expressed by writers and contributors are not necessarily those of the publisher or the newspaper’s advertisers.

No portion of this newspaper may be reproduced in any form without the written permission of the publisher.

We reserve the right to reject material and advertisements we deem inappropriate.

On Common Ground News