DeKalb tag offices closed May 23-28 for overhaul
Rockdale closed May 21-27
The Georgia Department of Revenue (DOR) is installing a new state-of-the-art system, Georgia DRIVES, to modernize the vehicle registration and titling system. The new Georgia DRIVES system will enable more self-service options, improve customer service, and enhance data integrity. In preparation for the statewide system upgrade, DeKalb County Motor Vehicle services will be offline and unavailable for a brief period.
Implementation of the new system will require the vehicleregistrations and titling services to be unavailable May 23–28. To accommodate for the closure, the Motor Vehicle and Commercial/Dealer lobbies will be open to the public on Saturdays, May 4 and May 18, 9 a.m. – 1 p.m. Customers are encouraged to complete all vehicle registrations and titling in advance of expiration dates and prior to the system upgrade timing.
“We are excited to partner with the Department of Revenue on the Georgia DRIVES project, which will improve our office efficiencies when handling vehicle registrations. It is important for vehicle owners and businesses to be aware of the upcoming schedule changes leading up to the Memorial Day launch of the project,” Irvin
What to expect in DeKalb Tag Offices: May 23–28:
- All three Tag Offices will not be able to process transactions.
- All online motor vehicle-related services including, online tag renewal services, will be offline.
- Motor vehicle self-service kiosks will be offline and inoperable.
- Motor vehicle division will only be able to process Trip Permit transactions at the DOR Southmeadow facility. All other transactions including International Fuel Tax Agreements (IFTA) and International Registration Plans (IRP) will be unavailable.
How will this impact Georgia customers and drivers?
- All Georgia residents who need to renew their vehicle registration in May and June are asked to please renew early, prior to Tuesday, May 21.
- Customers and dealers seeking to conduct any title transactions should complete their business at a county tag office prior to Thursday, May 23.
- Customers can still purchase vehicles and dealers will still be able to issue Temporary Operating Permits (TOPs).
- Law enforcement still will have access to motor vehicle records through a statewide backup file.
- The Department of Driver Services will not be affected.
For more information on upcoming scheduling changes, visit www.DeKalbTax.org.
Rockdale County residents
The Rockdale County Tag Office will have reduced hours on May 21-23 and May 28-29. No vehicle registration or title services will be available May 24-27. Rockdale County Tax Commissioner Tisa Smart Washington is urging residents who have May and June birthdays to complete tag renewals and registrations before May 20 to avoid delays. For more information, visit www.georgiadrives.com